American- and British-style camps in China are very new, and have only started to be introduced into the mainstream in the last 5 years. The fact that many camps are new and so still finding their identities provides you with a great opportunity to leave your mark on the camp by starting new activities, developing the camp’s values and culture, putting organisational systems in place, and bringing your own experiences and ideas to the camp. As a whole, the Camp Director is responsible for overseeing program development and ensuring the programs run effectively and safely, and meet the needs of the campers. He/she will lead and supervise a diverse team of staff including Chinese local counsellors and Gotoco foreign University volunteers, with the support of a bilingual Chinese Camp co-Director.
With support from the Chinese Camp co-Director, the role includes:
- Coordinating and overseeing the overall camp program operations, within the guidelines of the respective camp
- Designing logistics regarding staff allocation and program scheduling
- Managing and leading team of staff, including Gotoco University participants
- Developing the culture of the camp
- Promoting discipline and collegiality within the staff
- Ensuring that the policies and goals of the respective camp are being followed by the staff
- Leading program for pre-camp staff training
Skills, and Abilities
- Have relevant experience related to children’s summer camping/management
- Be a native English speaker; no competence in Mandarin is required
- Be organised, proactive, quick to learn and eager to take responsibility and ownership of the role
Dates – 1-2 month positions, from the end of June to September. However, exact start and end dates are flexible.
Compensation – Competitive salary & free accommodation and 3 meals a day